Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

I ain't dead yet!

Hello, folks! Long time, no see.

I think my last post was back in January, because since then I’ve been living without standard internet. Me. A guy who spent hours a day browsing YouTube, searching eBay, and writing posts. I can’t say it’s been easy, though my old iPhone 4s still manages to handle the internet well enough to serve my needs.

Let’s bring you up to speed on my life.

In December, my grandmother passed away. A memorial service was held for her in February, and I went back home to attend. It’s not easy to say goodbye to one of the most important people in my life, and we were very close. But I feel better for doing so, and I was able to see family members I haven’t seen in decades.

My belongings which were stored at her house are now with my mother. Remember, I do not have a San Francisco address any more. I continue to grab things on eBay, and she sends me photos. So while I haven’t been posting, I have been collecting.

In Japan, I’ve made some great finds on Yahoo! Japan Auctions, and there have been a couple shows. Actually, I’ll be attending a show I’ve never heard of on the 29th. It seems that this is the 38th time this card show has been held, so it might be pretty big. We’ll see. And I’ve been getting to the card shops to pick up new singles.

On the career front, I am being promoted to Emergency Teacher. It’s like a substitute teacher, but requires a bit more skill than a regular teacher. I start that position next month, so I’m moving again. Luckily most of my stuff remained in boxes so packing hasn’t been too hard. I’ll be living in Funabashi now, about 20-30 minutes east of Tokyo, though this job involves lots of travel. I could teach in the Tokyo area, or I could be sent to Tohoku or Hokkaido. Or anywhere in Japan, really. It will be a challenge but at the same time I’m very excited to be moving up and meeting so many new people. Plus, I hope I can fit in a little sightseeing at times!

And some other big news: I will be on Japanese television!

Earlier this month, a TV show called “Rediscover Japan” interviewed me about my Japanese baseball card collection. The show is broadcast weekly on the Japanese TBS station, and my episode is supposed to air on June 7th. Note that this show is in Japanese, and I doubt it’ll be shown in America. But if you get Japanese TV channels and one of them is called TBS, you might find me! There is a bit of acting involved in the interview, so I hope they don’t make me look too geeky!

One of Japan’s biggest holiday seasons was this month - Golden Week was short this year as the holidays bookended a weekend so I didn’t take a long vacation. I went camping for the first time that I can remember, staying two nights on Sado Island. It’s one of those slower-pace-of-life places, and I really enjoyed being out in nature and hiking along the rugged coast at the northern end of the island! It’s certainly a place I hope to return to sometime.

So that’s about it. With about two weeks left until I move (there are two weeks where I’ll be living between my current and new apartment) I’ve been packing, trying to finish off the food in my pantry, and clearing out lots of stuff. Since I have no internet at home, I’ve pre-typed some posts and hopefully I can get the images to upload and line up properly and easily. 

7 comments:

  1. Good to hear you're still alive. I guess we'll need to pull your body back off the wagon. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you! Glad to see you're still living it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan, glad to see you're still alive and kicking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing your new posts. Hope you put the "Fun" in Funabashi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In glad you are back! I miss your posts....I stayed a weekend on Sado Island. Had a great time and lots of memories trying to find gas in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you back, once you get settled let me know your new address because I owe you a trade package.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother... but glad to hear it gave you an opportunity to see family you hadn't seen in awhile. The same thing happened to me a few years back. Have fun @ the show... and congratulations on the promotion at work. Hope the television show ends up being on YouTube or something so we all get a chance to see you on TV.

    ReplyDelete