Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Go Big and Go Home: Raiding the Jumbo Card Box

I haven't opened any of that new-fangled Topps Series 1 stuff. Nope, this year I'm saving my money. A jumbo box of each series may provide a good bit of fun and the chance at some big hits, but across the three series, I essentially pay $450 for a base set and a few inserts for my type collection. Instead, I'll drop $50-75 on the set, and spend the rest of the money on travel, baseball games, and card singles.

So, instead of spending $150 or so on the jumbo box (well, maybe more like $130, with the exchange rate, but whatever), I spent just a few hundred yen on these box loaders for my type collection.
 Why not start with the big thing at home? I've never been to Mount Rushmore, and I'm not sure if I'll ever actually make it there, but it is a monument from my home country.
 I'm three years late in adding this card to my type collection, but that's perfectly fine. There are 10 cards in this set, and I think it would be cool to have all 10. But I won't be chasing it anytime soon.
 I didn't really know what these were at first. I had no idea that Allen & Ginter had jumbos to go along with the minis... like, in a straight reprint sense.
 These, I do know about. I like the non-parallel box loaders, though the oddball subjects (Pride of the People, for example) are much more appealing to me.
 Here's the 2014 Oversized Cabinet Box Loader. Yeah, that's the name.
Let's finish with another cool set. Landmarks & Monuments... uh, Landmarks Monuments &? ...has 10 US landmarks... and monuments. It's very Americana, too, with just two natural landmarks and the rest being monuments to the US government or capitalism. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I wouldn't mind having this set, too, but I'm not chasing it with so many other sets on my want list.

I know most people don't like odd-sized cards, but give me something like this and I'll find a way to store it!

Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. Several posts in a row? The four horsemen of the apocalypse have just ridden into town. Lol.

    I picked up a lot of 6x8 top loaders for these oversized cards not too long ago. Some of them fit, some don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will I keep it up, though? I tend to go in bursts... we'll see if I don't get stressed out and drop off the face of the earth again.

      Top loaders are good, but for my purposes I'm just using a plastic case for A4 papers. Back in the States, I had a binder with oversized cards for my type collection, and I just put all those different-sized card pages inside for everything. I don't remember what I did with super-sized stuff. (I do have a gigantic baseball card - a 1991 Donruss I think that's about 2.5 x 3.5 FEET.) All my 3D stuff just got displayed on a shelf.

      Delete
  2. You and I are on the same page in regards to buying a complete set and passing on the big pull. That A&G Mount Rushmore card is really cool. I had to see what other cards are in the set, so I headed over to COMC. Looks like they have a Mt. Fuji card on the checklist. I might need to add that one to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed on Mt. Fuji because it was really expensive here, naturally. If I can get a bunch of them cheap, I'll probably start the set.

      Delete
    2. Speaking of Mt. Fuji... have you seen this card?

      https://www.comc.com/Cards/MultiSport/2017/Upper_Deck_Goodwin_Champions_-_World_Traveler_Map_Relics,sl,+japan,i100

      They also have some pretty cool California cards in the set too. I grabbed the Golden Gate Bridge, Big Sur, and Lake Tahoe cards too.

      Delete
    3. I have the Statue of Liberty card for my type collection. Those are neat, except that some of them are quite costly for manu-relics. I love travel-related cards, though, so for the right price I could chase the set. At $4 a card it's still a $200 set, and some of those have ridiculous asking prices. (And sadly, I've only been to seven of the 50 places in the set.)

      Delete